
Today Ethan made me so proud.
His daycare went to a Remembrance day ceremony and before they went, the teachers were trying to tell the kids (3 yr olds) the reason for the ceremony. They were at a loss for words, because really, how do you explain such a large concept to three year olds?
I had been talking to one of the teachers last week and told her what I had told Ethan. We originally told him about the day because he wanted to wear a poppy like us, and he wanted to buy one from the "P0ppy man" (a war veteran) at the grocery store. He also wanted to know why.
Well, today they turned to Ethan for answers. What do we do on Remembrance day? "We remember people." Why do we remember people? "We wear a poppy to remember people." What did your mommy tell you about Remembrance day? "We remember the people that fought in the war with guns and died." What a concept for a three year old to comprehend. When we first told him, he thought that we were talking about water guns...what innocence. I'm sure he does not really understand it all, but for him even to remember what I told him just blows me away! The teachers were all so impressed with him and they were quite content with what he had to say to them and the other kids. They were all so good at the ceremony and were so quiet. I think they understood that something really important and special was going on. They also really enjoyed listening to the band playing and Ethan told me that he heard a trumpet today. :)
This year Remembrance day today held so much more meaning close to the heart. I have seen and felt only a glimmer of what all those soldiers felt during the war. What a sacrifice they gave for their countries. I can really understand the magnitude of what they did for all of us.
Before we really experience loss and death, looking into their eyes when they remember just isn't the same. I remember the look in my Dziadzia's eyes when he would remember and I never really got it, I never really understood the haunted memories that stayed with him. Now I think back to that look and I can FEEL some of that loss and pain that he felt...but it was so much more for him.
Anyways, I just really wanted to say that I feel so much more of a connection to the saddness and I am so much more grateful for everything that those soldiers did for us, for their families and their countries.
Thank you from the bottom of my heart.
No comments:
Post a Comment